The Chinese Bridge and Pagoda in St James Park (previous to the fire)
Medium: Aquatint, coloured
During the 1814 festivities to celebrate the end of the war with France, a splendid seven storey pagoda was erected in St James' Park. It was perched on a brightly painted Chinese-style bridge spanning the canal. Although the bridge remained until 1825, the pagoda caught fire during the celebratory fireworks, injuring several workmen in the process.