Artist: Pugin, Charles Augustine
View of Twickenham and the River Thames. Twickenham grew rapidly in the 18th century as a fashionable residence for the wealthy. Twickenham was free from the pollution of the city of London and could be easily accessed via the river. To the left of this print can be seen the embankment and St Mary’s church, parts of which date from the 15th century. The church building collapsed on 9th April 1713 and architect John James was appointed to rebuilt it. The remodelling of the building was difficult because the original 15th century ragstone tower had to be incorporated into the new church. The combination of architectural styles in the church can still be seen today.