This house was originally the monastery of Grey Friars, Newcastle-upon-Tyne
Engraver: Sonander, G
Medium: Aquatint, coloured
Newcastle had eight religious houses, one of which was the house of the Franciscans (also known as the Grey Friars), founded in 1237 in Pilgrim Street. By the 18th century, the house had been rebuilt as a private residence. It was owned by Sir Walter Blackett from 1707-1777 and passed on to George Anderson Esq. The house, then on the edge of the town, had its own garden. Henry Bourne, a contemporary local historian, commented: "It is surrounded with a vast quantity of ground; that part of it which faces the street is thrown into walks and grass plots, beautiful with images and beset with trees, which afford a pleasing shade". The house was demolished in 1832 by its new owner Richard Grainger to allow the construction of new buildings.