The Observatory in Richmond Gardens
Medium: Aquatint with etching
View of the observatory in the old deer park in Richmond. It was designed by Sir William Chambers and finished in 1769, allowing George III to pursue his interest in astronomy. The observatory was built in the classical style with Portland stone. The small dome at the top of the building contained the main telescopes. The King appointed an official Royal Observer who also taught astronomy to the royal family.