The Lord's Place at Lewes in Sussex August 2nd 1762
Medium: Ink on paper
View of the ruins called the Lord's Place at Lewes. This is probably the ruins of the Priory of St Pancras. It was founded in the late 11th century by monks from Cluny Abbey in Burgundy. They were encouraged to establish a priory by William de Warenne and his wife Gundrada. It grew to be an important and wealthy institution, until in 1538 it was dissolved along with other religious houses. Today the 13th century Great marble gate survives as do parts of the refectory, dormitory, infirmary, chapel and cloisters.