The gate of an ancient monastery in Southover, near Lewes, Sussex
Lewes Priory at Southover was founded in the late-11th century by monks from Cluny abbey in Burgundy. They were encouraged to establish a priory by William de Warenne and his wife Gundrada. The priory grew to be an important and wealthy institution, until in 1538 it was dissolved along with other religious houses. Today the 13th-century great marble gate survives, as do parts of the refectory, dormitory, infirmary, chapel and cloisters.