The South Prospect of Langavellach Copper-work
Medium: Ink on paper
View of the Llangyfelach Copper Works . The copper smelting works were owned by John Lane, a physician and John Pollard, a copper mine owner, in c.1716. The works were extensive and had 20 furnaces for smelting, a refinery house, a forge, a laboratory as well as a blast house and an accounting house. Located on the River Tawe the factory was well situated for access to the port in Swansea and because a coal mine already existed here coal did not have to be transported to the works. In 1726 Lane and Pollard went bankrupt and the works were taken over by the Morris family one of the major industrialist families in the area.