The Obelisk, in the Park, at Stillorgan
Engraver: Jukes, Francis
Medium: Aquatint, coloured
View of an Obelisk in the grounds of a private deer park. The monument was built in the grounds of the old Stillorgan House Park (now Obelisk Park), 4 miles from Dublin. It was commissioned by Lord Allen in 1741. This year was a particularly harsh year and was known as ‘the hard frost’, Allen had the obelisk built to provide employment for the poor so that they could earn an honest living. The obelisk was designed by architect Sir Edward Lovett Pearce (1699-1733).