The Light House on the Promontory of Howth
Engraver: Jukes, Francis
Medium: Aquatint, coloured
View of the lighthouse in Dublin Bay. The lighthouse is located on a rocky peninsula 475 feet above sea level at the south eastern tip of Howth Head at the entrance to Dublin Bay. A lighthouse has stood on this spot for over 300 years the earliest being built in 1668 by Robert Readinge. It was rebuilt in 1790 but it was positioned too high and the light was often obscured by fog and low cloud. In 1814 a new lighthouse was built on the Duncriffan peninsular- it is known as the Bailey Lighthouse (Bailey from the Latin ballium meaning fortress) because King Criffan’s fort once stood on this point.