The Pier at Dunleary - 5 miles from Dublin
Engraver: Jukes, Francis
Medium: Aquatint, coloured
View of the pier at Dunleray. The present day Dun Laoghaire is what was once known as the village of Dunleary. In the 17th century Dunleary was a small fishing village well known for its production of salt. In 1821 it was renamed Kingstown to honour the visit of King George IV. In 1921 it was renamed again and became Dun Laoghaire. In 1755 the Irish parliament ordered the construction of a harbour at Dunleary to provide protection to the fishing boats and to facilitate the import of coal from Swansea and South Wales. A small pier less than 200 yards in length was built and because of the build up of silt deposits around its base it became known as the Dry Pier.