Artist: Walmsley, Thomas
Medium: Aquatint, coloured
View of Trim Castle in County Meath, Ireland. The castle is the largest, covering 3 acres of land, and most impressive Anglo Norman castle in Ireland and is dominated by the large keep. It is believed that the castle was erected in 2 stages, the first in 1176 by Hugh de Lacy. Trim Castle is unusual in design; at the centre is a large tower, 23 metres high, with turrets at each corner and a tower on each side. It is more common for castles to be built with the towers on the corners but this design meant that the entrance did not have to be protected as it was situated in one of the side towers. The courtyard is roughly triangular and the River Boyne flows along the castle’s north western side.