View of the Senate House Public Library
Engraver: Testolini, G.
View of a courtyard showing the north side of the Senate House on the right, King's College Chapel on the left and on the east range of the Old Schools building. The Senate House was where the theoretical governing body of the university sat and was built in 1722-4 by James Gibbs.The Old Schools were the part of the university where the students were taught, and there were several different schools such as Canon Law, Civil Law, Philosophy etc. The East facade was rebuilt in 1754-7 in the Palladian style by architect Stephen Wright. King's College Chapel was built between 1446 and 1515 and was started on the initiative of Henry VI.