View of the County Hall at Chelmsford
Engraver: Malton, T.
View of the County Hall of Chelmsford in Essex. Now known as Shire Hall, it was built between 1789-91 by architect and Surveyor of the county, John Johnson (who also published this print). The hall is five bays wide with the centre three bays flanked by giant columns with Adam capitals. The ground floor is has rusticated stonework and there are three entrance arches. The Shire Hall is at the centre of the town, in Tindal Square. In the print, to the right and left of the hall are shop fronts and just behind it, is Chelmsford parish church.