View from Durdham Down near Bristol
Engraver: Clark and Duberg
Medium: Aquatint, coloured
Durdham Down has an impressive view of the winding River Avon and the Welsh mountains in the distance. Along with Clifton Down, it formed 400 acres of grassland on the edge of Bristol up to the Avon Gorge. Whereas Clifton had been bought by the Society of Merchant Venturers in 1686, Durdham was still part of the manorial estate of Henbury in the late 18th century. This was until 1861 when it was purchased for the use of the citizens of Bristol.