View of the Village of Freshwater, Isle of Wight
Medium: Aquatint, coloured
View of the village of Freshwater in the Isle of Wight. Freshwater is situated in the west of the Island near to the well known landmark ‘The Needles’. W. H. Davenport Adams describes the area in his book ‘The Isle of Wight; Its History, Topography and Antiquities’, published in 1862; “The village of Freshwater lies about a mile from the southern shore, on the River Yar, where it begins to widen into an ample stream. A few cottages of the better sort, the usual miscellaneous ships, an excellent inn (the Red Lion) and some tolerable houses on it’s outskirts- voila tout! The church is old, and a noticeable pile, with two or three curious monuments. Near it a bridge crosses the river, and a good sized mill is worked by the stream”.