View in Moor Park, in the parish of Rickmansworth, now the property of the Marquis of Westminster
Medium: Ink wash on paper
View of Moor Park in Rickmansworth, Hertfordshire. The lands of this estate originally belonged to the Abbots of St Albans, but by the 15th century they had passed to George Nevil. He became Bishop of Exeter, Chancellor of England and eventually Archbishop of York. Before this time the estates at Moor Park had consisted mostly of meadow land but King Henry VI granted Nevil 600 acres of land to enclose and make into a park. He also built a mansion house here. When Nevil fell from favour, the estates were claimed by the crown and in the 16th century they are thought to have been granted to Cardinal Wolsey. In 1673 the Duke of Monmouthshire was granted the estates and he built a large and ornate mansion house in Moor Park, about a mile from where Nevil’s house had stood.