View of Holywell House, at the bottom of Holywell Hill, in the parish of St. Peter's at St. Alban's, on the road to St. Stephen's, built by Sarah, Duchess of Marlborough
View of Holwell House near St Albans in Hertfordshire. The house was built by Sarah, Dutchess of Marlborough in the 18th century. The house was built at the bottom of Holywell Hill, which itself takes its name from a well in the grounds of the house which was once used by the nuns of Sopewell. Pinnock’s ‘History and Topography of Hertfordshire’, published in 1820 describes the house thus,
“The principal front is decorated with a handsome pediment, the tympanum of which is charged with military trophies, commemorative of the victories of the great Duke of Marlborough, whose Dutchess built this mansion. The park and gardens, though not expensive, are tastefully laid out and agreeably diversified”.