View of Ross on the River Wye, Herefordshire
Artist: Lambe, R.
Medium: Aquatint, coloured
View of the town of Ross on the Wye, dominated by the spire of the parish church of St Mary’s. The town’s name is derived from its situation on the River Wye and from the Welsh word ‘promontory’. Because Ross on the Wye is located on the main route from London to Hereford or Wales it became an important market town in the 16th century. The parish church of St Mary actually dates from the 13th century but it was largely rebuilt in 1743.