View in Enderby near Leicester
Artist: Loraine Smith, C.
Medium: Aquatint, coloured
View of Enderby in Leicestershire. The village of Enderby is situated approximately 5 miles to the west of the city of Leicester. The village appears in the Domesday Book as ‘ Andretesbie’ and ‘Endrebie’ and was a manor of Hugh de Grentesmesnil in the then Goscote division of the shire. It is not known how the village came to be called ‘enderby’ but it is thought that there is some connection with the Roman Goddess Andraetes who was worshipped in this area. White's ‘History, Gazetteer and Directory of the Counties of Leicester and Rutland’, published in 1877 contains a description of the village,
"ENDERBY, a large and populous village and parish, with many framework knitters, is situated on a pleasant declivity, on the west side of the vale of the Soar … The parish is bounded on the east by the river, and on the north by a small rivulet which divides it from Braunstone. The soil is partly clay, and in some parts a light loam, and the ground is rocky and well wooded".