View of London taken from Albion Place, Blackfriars Bridge
Engraver: Stadler, J. C.
Medium: Aquatint with etching, coloured
View of the City of London taken from Albion Place on Blackfriar's bridge. This was the third bridge to be built to cross the Thames, this time between Blackfriars and Southwark. It was built between 1760-9 at a cost of £230,000 and the architect was Robert Mylne. It was originally called William Pitt Bridge but became more commonly known as Blackfriars Bridge. In 1785 the tolls for use of the bridge were removed. In the foreground is a detailed scene of traffic on the bridge including pedestrians, soldiers and sheep. There are vehicles including coaches, a hay wagon and wagon pulling chopped down tree trunks.