View of London Bridge including the Church of St Magnus and Monument
Engraver: Stadler, J. C.
Medium: Aquatint, coloured
View of London Bridge, with the Monument and Church of St Magnus. London Bridge crosses from Southwarke Cathedral into the City of London. It was there from medieval times and had 19 small stone arches, numerous houses and a chapel dedicated to St Thomas Becket in the middle. At the Southwark end was a gatehouse with drawer bridge , which was shut in times of rebellion or conflict. In 1750-62 the houses were gradually removed from the bridge under the supervision of Sir Robert Taylor and George Dance Senior. The two central arches of the bridge were also replaced by Dance with a larger single arch which can be seen in this view. In the late 1790s, a competition was held to design a new bridge.