View of Westminster Bridge, the Abbey
Artist and engraver: Edy, J.W.
Medium: Aquatint with etching
View of Westminster Bridge showing Westminster Abbey at the other end, taken from a tavern, the Kings Arms, on Lambeth Marsh. The bridge crossed between Westminster and Lambeth. For centuries there was no bridge at Westminster, and by the 18th century traffic had to use a waterman, the horse ferry, or go around London Bridge or Putney Bridge. However this was inadequate by this time as Westminster had grown so much. In 1721 a project was started and well known architects were invited to design a bridge. Eventually a Swiss man Charles Labelye was chosen as engineer. The bridge was started in 1738 and opened in 1750 with a grand procession.