Click here to skip to content

View of the Outside of the Royal Exchange London

View of the Outside of the Royal Exchange London

Engraver: Bartolozzi

Medium: Aquatint

Date: 1788

Shelfmark: Ktop XXIV

Item number: 11-g

Genre: Topographical Print

In her posthumous travelogue, 'Through England on a Side Saddle' (1888), Celia Fiennes described the Royal Exchange as "a large space of ground enclosed round the cloisters and open arches on which are built many walkes of shopps of all trades; the middle space below was design'd and is used for the merchants to meet to concert their business and trade and bills, which is all open and on top of these piaza's are the effigies in stone of most of our Kings and queens since the Conquest, from whence this Exchange takes its name Royal."

The original Elizabethan exchange was destroyed by the Great Fire and a new baroque building, designed by city surveyor Edward Jarman, was opened in 1669. Daniel Defoe noted in the 1720s that the Royal Exchange was "finished and embellished in so exquisite a manner", that although it "cost the citizens an immense sum of money", it was money well spent.

Search within this collection

Elsewhere on our websites


Latest events - register free online