View of Surrey Chapel
Engraver: Rosenburg, Ch.
Medium: Aquatint with etching, coloured
The Surrey Chapel was a polygonal chapel built in 1783 for non-conformist preacher Rowland Hill (1744-1833). Despite being born into a live of privilege, Hill chose to become a field preacher, strongly influenced by Methodist ideas although still within the Church of England. He was a popular orator, good at reaching out to ordinary people with his ideas. But his controversial methods made him unpopular with the religious establishment. The Surrey Chapel was funded by his inheritance from his father Sir Rowland Hill. He drew congregations of up to 1000 people to his chapel. The chapel is no longer there and was destroyed in the Blitz.