View of the excavated ground for the Highgate Archway
Engraver: Hill, J
Medium: Aquatint, coloured
The Highgate Archway Road was constructed in the early 19th century to ease the strain of increased traffic on Highgate Hill. As can be seen in the print, excavations are in progress and a wooden bridge has been built over the road - the spot where the archway itself would soon after be erected. The original aqueduct-style archway was designed by John Nash in 1812, although the present bridge dates from 1897-1900. As can also be seen in the picture, the views commanded of London from the archway attracted a sizeable number of visitors.