View of the Cathedral Church of Christ in Oxford
Engraver: Reeve, R
This church was promoted to cathedral status in 1546. It had previously been the church of an Anglo-Saxon nunnery dedicated to St Frideswide. Construction of the building seen in this picture probably began in the 12th century, although a precise date cannot be ascertained. The church was incorporated in Wolsey's new Cardinal college in the early 16th century, although about 50 feet of the nave was demolished to make room for the 'Tom' quadrangle (so called because it was overlooked by a tower housing the Tom bell). Consequently it is quite short for a cathedral church, only about 160 feet long.