View of Exton church in the county of Rutland
Medium: Ink wash on paper
View of the Church of St Peter and St Paul in Exton, Rutland. It was built in the 13th and 14th centuries on the land of St Andrew's priory but is now located in Exton Park, seat of the Earl of Gainsborough. As can be seen in the picture, it is a large and impressive medieval parish church. The church spire was struck by lightning in 1843, causing a fire that melted the roof, shattered the windows, and destroyed the west end of the church. It was subsequently rebuilt by JL Pearson in 1852/3.