View of St Stephen's church , Bristol
View of the front entrance and west tower of St Stephen's church in Bristol. It was built in the mid-15th century, and paid for by the Mayor of Bristol, John Shipward. The church tower is 152 feet high and has elaborate arcaded battlements and pinnacles. Even the gargoyles are crowned with free-standing angle-shafts. In 1703 the tower was damaged by a great storm and had to be repaired.