View of Angel Hill, Bury
View of the Abbey Gate in Angel Hill, Bury St Edmunds. The gatehouse was the main entrance into the large monastery which was the home to the shrine of St Edmund. The original gate on this site was damaged in an uprising in 1327 and so a second gatehouse was built in the 14th century by Abbot Anselm. The architecture of the three storey gatehouse is very imposing with large arches, many carved niches and beautiful mouldings. The square on which the gatehouse stands is known as Angel Hill and it is well known for the important buildings that surround it such as the Athenaeum Assembly rooms and the Angel Hotel. The streets around the square are laid out in a 12th century grid plan and it has become a focal point of the town.