View of the Gipsy-House, in Norwood, Surrey
In 1730 this inaccessible hill near Norwood was settled by members of a travelling community, who followed Margaret Finch, 'Queen of the Gipsies'. In 1797, parliament passed the Vagrancy Act was and this community was split up by the police who raided the camp. During the 19th century many of the hill-settlers married into the local community. In 1806, the estate of local landowner Lord Thurlow was sold and new streets of houses were built. Gipsy Lane and Gipsy Hill are reminders of the history of the area.