View of Brighthelmstone church, 1801
Artist: Buckler, John
View of St Nicholas's, the parish church of Brighton, on a hill outside the old town. Daniel Defoe visited the area in the early 18th century and wrote: "Bright Helmston, commonly call'd Bredhemston, a poor fishing town, old built, and on the very edge of the sea." The parish church was built in the 14th century of flint and has a low embattled tower. It was drastically restored in 1853.