View of Soho House near Birmingham
This elegant classical mansion was owned by Matthew Boulton, who established the internationally famous Soho Manufactory of metal ware in Handsworth, near Birmingham, in the 18th century. Acquired as an unfinished house on Handsworth Heath, it was renovated and extended by Samuet Wyatt in 1789 and Jame Wyatt in 1796. Situated on high ground, it overlooked the manufactory. Boulton's enthusiasm for technology meant that central heating was installed in the house.