View of New Council House, Salisbury
Engraver: Jukes, Francis
Medium: Aquatint with etching, coloured
The construction of this council building, also known as the Guildhall, was begun in 1788 to a design by Sir Robert Taylor. It was built in Salisbury market place, on the site of the medieval Bishop's Guildhall, after a fire in 1780 destroyed the existing Elizabethan council building. As can be seen in this picture, it is mostly built of grey brick, with rusticated stonework on the edges, and is fronted by a Tuscan style portico. This portico was removed in 1889.