View of Bolton Castle Yorkshire
View of Bolton Castle in Yorkshire, which is architecturally important as a 14th century castle where the needs of defence, comfort and ascetics are all considered in the design. It was built for Richard de Scrope, who in 1379 received a license to crenellate the building. John Lewyn was employed as Mason. As can be seen in the picture, the castle's corners are protected by huge four storey towers. The plan is essentially of four ranges around an enclosed courtyard. The living quarters were in the walls and towers. The castle was built to guard Wensleydale. By the late 18th century the castle was a ruin, although still a substantial ruin. It had been besieged and captured by a Parliamentary army between 1644-5 and by the late 18th century, the north east tower had collapsed.