View of Ferry Bridge Yorkshire
View of the Old Bridge at Ferrybridge in Yorkshire. It was rebuilt as a result of a competition advertised in a local paper, the Leeds Mercury, in 1797. The winner was John Carr, a well respected architect from York, who produced the design at the age of 74 years. A surveyor named Bernard Hartley was engaged to build the design which was completed in 1804. By April 1803 the cost of the work was around £24,864, with £142 being spent on 'ale' for the workmen in one year alone! Also in this view is St Andrew's Church, the medieval parish church to the north of the village. It was later moved to a new position further south.