View of Brydden & Moely Golfe, with Rodney's Pillar, from the Road near Welchpool, Montgomeryshire, North Wales
Artist: Pocock, N.
Medium: Aquatint, coloured
View of Rodney’s Pillar, near Welshpool in North Wales. Rodney’s Pillar was a monument erected at the peak of Breidden Hill, to the memory of Admiral Rodney who commanded a victory over a fleet of French ships in the West Indies in the 18th century. The monument was built in 1781 and may have been designed by John Evans of Llwynygroes. It stood as a reminder of the naval history of the area- the River Severn used to be navigable for boats as far as Welshpool and shipyards in Bristol were supplied from here.