View of Castle Street, Aberdeen
Artist: Irvine, H.
Medium: Aquatint, coloured
View of Castle Street in Aberdeen, Scotland. Aberdeen stands between the rivers Dee and Don and the name probably derives from ‘aber’ meaning ‘mouth of the river’. In the 8th century Aberdeen was established as a fishing village but by the 12th century it had developed into an important town. At the centre of this print is the Tollhouse. This building was built by mason Thomas Watson and became the town jail, work started in 1616 and was completed in 1629 when the spire was finished. The walls were built to a thickness of 1.5 meters to ensure that prisoners would be held securely.