View of Brae Mar Castle
Medium: Ink on paper
Braemar Castle is situated in the Cairngorms on Royal Deeside, half a mile north east of the village of Braemar in Scotland. This impressive castle was built in 1628 by John Erskine, Earl of Mar on the site of Kindrochit Castle. Braemar castle was burned in 1688 by the ‘Black’ Colonel Farquarson of Inverey. Ironically it was bought and rebuilt by another member of the Farquharson family, John Farquarson, in the mid 18th century. It was rebuilt and became a garrison fortress in the campaign to subdue the Highlands.