View of Inveraray 1747
Medium: Ink on paper
View of the old town of Inveraray in western Scotland. The Dukes of Argyll planned to replace the old ruinous castle owned by the family with a new mansion house. To ensure that the grounds could also be properly landscaped he proposed to move the old town of Inveraray to a new site. The old town had existed for over 300 years and included a church, tollbooth, school and over 40 taverns. Plans had been made up for a new town in 1747 and when the 3rd Duke inherited his title in 1743 he made sure that the work took place. The well planned new town on the banks of Loch Fyne, included houses for estate workers, a mill and a pierand was finally completed in 1776.