View of Dublin Lighthouse
View of the Poolbeg lighthouse in Dublin Bay, Ireland. The lighthouse stands on a peninsula which was reclaimed from the sea and was known as Poolbeg because the site was originally a small pool with deep anchorage in the harbour. It was officially lit in September 1761 and was the first lighthouse to use candles rather than a simple beacon of coal. A stone staircase with an iron balustrade led to the second storey where a gallery surrounded the whole building. A large octagonal lantern topped the lighthouse. The building has been rebuilt since this drawing was made in the 18th century.