View of Beau Sejour from the S.E. 1755
Artist: Hamilton, J.
Medium: Pen and ink on paper
This French Fort was built in 1751, in retaliation for the building of Fort Lawrence by the British. It was located in the 17th century French settlement of Beaubassin, on top of Beau Sejour Ridge. The two opposing forts were about a mile apart and clearly visible to each other. In 1755 a British force succeeded in capturing Beau Sejour and renamed it Fort Cumberland. There is also a preliminary sketch of the same view in the collection. Buildings in this picture, such as the soldiers barracks and the hospital, are identified and numbered and a key is provided to the bottom right.