View of the Point of Beau-sejour and Bute Roger; with a distant view of Weskawk
Artist: Hamilton, J.
Medium: Pen and ink on paper
View of the French Fort of Beau Sejour in Nova Scotia. The French Fort was built in 1751, in retaliation for the building of Fort Lawrence by the British. It was located in the 17th century French settlement of Beaubassin, on top of Beau Sejour Ridge The two opposing forts were about a mile apart and clearly visible to each other. In 1755 a British force succeeded in capturing Beau Sejour and renamed it Fort Cumberland. Buildings in this picture, such as the old church and the hospital, are identified and numbered and a key is provided to the bottom left.