Weymouth from the Look out, taken May 1812
Engraver: Bluck, J.
Medium: Aquatint, coloured
View of the harbour and quay of Weymouth showing the seafront of neat Georgian terraces. In the late 18th century this was developed as a typical Georgian sea-side resort. It acquired a social cachet from the presence of the King and Court, because after his first visit in 1789, George III visited here regularly to sea bathe. He used a sea-bathing machine, several of which can be seen near the shore. This attracted visitors to Weymouth and many new houses were built which today give the town its Georgian seafront. The harbour was originally two separate towns: Weymouth and Melcombe Regis.