West Ham Church 39b
Medium: Ink wash on paper
This is a preparatory sketch of King's Topographical Collection 13.39a, probably by J.B. Chatelain, who did a number of views of buildings and streets in the London suburbs between 1740-60. It includes some different groupings of people. In the late 18th century West Ham was a favourite residence of merchants and wealthy citizens, and in the returns of the King's surveyor of houses and windows there were 700 house in the parish, of which 455 were mansions and 245 were cottages. In his Handbook to The Environs of London in 1876, James Thorne describes the church: 'West Ham Church (All Saints) stands in the midst of the village, in a sort of broadway, two main streets running right and left of the wide churchyard. It is a large building, the basis ancient, but much of the fabric modern, and as a whole a poor patchwork-looking pile. It comprises an early nave, to which a common builder's brick aisle, with round-arched windows, has been added on the south, the Perpendicular north aisle remaining of stone; a modern chancel of red brick, and a good old Perpendicular west tower, 74 ft. high, in 3 stages, square, with a tall angle turret, and battlemented. The tower has a large west window of good Perpendicular details, and contains a peal of 10 bells.'