Artist: Batty, R. M.
Medium: Aquatint, coloured
View of Ware Priory in Hertfordshire. In 1338 a small Franciscan friary was established here by Thomas Wake. Although prosperous it did not develop into a priory until the 15th century. At this time the buildings were substantially extended and enhanced with features such as window mouldings and a great roof, all largely at the expense of the friars themselves. In the 16th century the monastery was closed during the dissolution of the monasteries by Henry VIII and since this time the buildings have been used for a variety of purposes, such as a hospital, school, convalescent home and private residence.