Waterloo Place, Carlton House
Engraver: Sutherland, T.
A view of Waterloo Place and the improvements opposite Carlton House. Waterloo place today is where Regent Street and Pall Mall meet. Its original purpose was that Regent Street terminated here in this 'square' although it is not much wider than the street which runs into it. It was started in 1816 by John Nash. Nearby there was Carlton House, the extravagant home of the Prince Regent until it was demolished in 1826. The artist is Augustus Charles de Pugin (1767-1831).