West End of Ealing Church
Medium: Pen and ink on paper
View of west end and tower of St Mary's Church on St Mary's Road, Ealing. This medieval parish church was rebuilt in 1735-40 by J. Horne. It is typically Georgian, with a symmetrical facade, large round arched windows to let in light and decorative brickwork was restrained except stone quoins on the tower and church body. However this was much changed in 1866-74 by a restoration and enlargement by S.S. Teulon. The body of the Georgian church was hidden under the notched brickwork, and striped buttresses, so much so that a contemporary clergyman commented that it had come to resemble a 'Constantinopolitan basilica'.