West front of Christ Church
Engraver: Reeve, R
View of the west front of Christ Church college, facing on to St Aldate's Street. The view shows the symmetrical front designed by Christopher Wren in the 17th century. The central gateway opens on to one of largest quadrangle courtyards in Oxford. Above the gateway is the huge 'Tom' tower (so called because it houses the Tom bell), built by Wren in 1681/2. Its Gothic style was explained by Wren in a letter to his client Dr Fell as a deliberate concord "with the Founder's work", though he also noted that his building was not going to be "so busy as he [the Founder] began".