Waldren, Sussex, 1787
Medium: Pencil and ink on paper
Construction of the Church of All Saints in Waldren began in 1195, most likely under the patronage of the powerful Battle abbey. It replaced a wooden chapel of Saxon origin.
According to local legend, the great round church font was rolled down a hill during the civil war. Another legend has it that the church was decorated with a stylised stone ornament known as Pelham Buckle. This was found on many local buildings and showed the influence of the Pelham family of Laughton. The church was given to local knight Sir John Pelham at the Battle of Poitiers for assisting in the capture of the King of France.