West View of the City of Waterford
Artist: Roberts, Thomas Sautelle
Medium: Aquatint, coloured
View of Waterford Quay. Mr and Mrs Hall, travellers in Ireland in 1840, wrote the following words about Waterford,
”The quay is unrivalled in Ireland and perhaps in England also. It is a mile in length and in a continuous line… At its western extremity, connecting the city with the county of Kilkenny, is a wooden bridge across the Suir. It is 832 feet in length and forty in breadth, supported on stone abutments and forty pieces of oak. The building of this bridges was undertaken in 1793 by a company who subscribed £30,000 to complete the work, including the purchase of the ferry. The money was raised by loans of £100 pounds each, the interest on which was to be paid by tolls across the bridge. The work was completed for less than what was originally estimated and only required the payment of £90 on each debenture… The architect was Mr Cox, of Boston, America”.